The Safe Out LGBTQ Youth Coalition is alarmed by the New York Times article about the Department of Health and Human Services memo that attempts to narrowly and legally redefine gender in such a way that erases our trans, gender nonconforming, intersex, nonbinary, and gender fluid communities, and excludes them from civil rights protections.
We believe in and support a gender diverse world. Trying to legislate groups of people into silence is damaging for a community already facing oppression on multiple levels. We know that a healthy nation supports all of its members, and we will continue to work diligently to reduce the health and civic disparities our community faces.
We know these are scary and trying times. Please know that local and national trans and ally organizations are working to make sure we don’t lose hard-earned rights and can continue making progress towards equity.
We truly believe in the strength and power of our youth. We especially want our trans, intersex, and gender diverse communities to know that we support and celebrate you today and every day.
So what can we do now?
- Take time for self-care and to check in with yourself, your friends, and our youth. If you find you need additional support, please reach out, including to organizations like Trans Lifeline, Teen Lifeline, and the Trevor Project.
- Share uplifting and supportive messages to let our communities know you stand with them.
- Show public support and advocate for the inclusion, safety, and support of trans, intersex, and gender nonconforming folks in all settings.
- Take time to vote on November 6 or mail in your early ballot.
- Remember that ally is a verb – stay informed, educated, and involved. We’ll keep you updated as this develops.
Thank you all.